I like a good cocktail as much as the next gal. Beer is great too, but sometimes I just want a good old fashion drink that really hits the spot at the end of the day. The problem is, both beer and cocktails are loaded with calories. I’m sure many of you have heard of Bethenny Frankel’s Skinny Girl Margarita drink that is sold in most liquor stores now. It is basically a pre-made cocktail (it comes in a wine bottle) that is made with low calorie/healthy substitutes like agave nectar. It is a delicious drink to enjoy at home with the girls with minimal guilt. The only problem was that it is SO good that I could easily go through the whole thing in one night (which kind of defeats the low-cal point but I figure at least it’s better than drinking 4 of the 700+calorie classic margaritas I would otherwise be consuming). At $19 a bottle, it can get a little pricey and I thought I could come up with something similar but for a fraction of the price.
Heres what you will need:
– Tequila (the blanc tequila is a little better for you)
– Low-calorie pop (I use a lemon-lime flavor)
– Limes or lime concentrate
– Salt for the rim
– A martini Shaker
– Ice cubes
– Shot Glass
– Friends to enjoy it with you 🙂
1) add lots of ice to your shaker
2) Squeeze in your lime juice (approximately a 1/2 ounce, depending on your love for limes)
3) Add 2 ounces water
4) shake vigorously until you bruise the ice and mixture becomes frothy (or once your shaker has become almost too cold to hold, it’s done)
5) add 1 once of the lemon-lime diet soda to the shaker and lightly swirl and set aside. Do not shake your drink once you have put your pop in as the carbonation will cause it to explode all over your kitchen, I know from experience…
6) use a lime wedge to moisten the rim of the glass, then run the rim of the glass through the salt
7) pour into your favourite glass, add a garnish if your feeling fancy and enjoy!
The other great thing about this recipe is that it includes water. It is SO important to stay hydrated when indulging in a few drinks. If you don’t, you may regret it the next day.
You might wonder what I do when I go out for dinner or drinks at a restaurant. Well, I will tell you….
The truth is, occasionally I do cave and have the delicious sugary, full of guilt margarita that is on the menu. But if I have the strength to keep myself in line, I will order tequila – in water – on the rocks – with lime wedges. I squeeze the heck out of the lime wedges and add the whole wedge to the glass. I always keep little packets of stevia in my purse so I add a little to the drink to give it that margarita sweet kick. I definiely do not recommend this option if you are new to tequila or do not enjoy the taste of it. But for me, it’s a good option while out on the town. Hope you enjoy!
Let me know if you try it and liked it!
This looks delicious! Definitely going to have to try this! 🙂
I always love a good margarita, and I know it tastes THAT much better when you make them yourself. My friends and I made these a few weeks back and they were fantastic. Your recipe sounds really delicious as well!xoxo Jackiesomethingaboutthatthing.blogspot.com/
I love skinny girl margaritas…but fresh ones. I'm not a huge fan of Bethenny Frankel's premixed drink. This looks like a great recipe and I will definitely have to try it out! – KaitlynBoardwalks & Boulevards
nice!! :)new post http://www.live-style20.blogspot.com
Love a margarita and we don't get Skinny Girl here in Australia, so thanks for the recipe!
can't do wrong with a nice margarita 🙂 it's nice how you decorated the glass with the sugar border. following you now on gfc,maybe you want to do the same? 🙂